Don’t just slam down Jose Cuervo tequila shots! Learn how to sip classy premium tequila and enjoy it properly this spring. Suave Premium Tequila is 100% agave and additive-free, which means no hangover for you. Plus, it’s made by Master Distiller Jamie Villalobos Sauza in conjunction with its owners from Guadalajara, Mexico. Below, learn from Villalobos Sauza himself about some delicious cocktails to make with your premium tequila.
Tequila and Me, Plus… What?
Standard, delicious mixers and flavors to pair with tequila include lime juice (Margaritas, Ranch Waters, and Tequila-Water-Limes), grapefruit juice (Palomas), soda water, tomato juice (Bloody Marias!), citrus juices, coconut water, and aloe juice.
Recipe Numero Uno: Spicy Pineapple Marg
“A spin on the classic margarita, which uses limes primarily, is the pineapple margarita,” said Sauza. “I love adding a pinch of spice to mine, but that part is up to you, of course.”
- Mix 1 TBSP of black pepper and 2 TBSP of sugar in a shallow dish (this is for the rim of the glass).
- Using a lime to wet the glass rim first, dip the glass into the dish. (Fun fact: There are special dishes specifically made for this — most Mexican bars and restaurants have them, and you can find them on Amazon.
- Mix and blend ¾ OZ of triple sec, 1 thinly-sliced jalapeño, and a handful (or more, depending on your preference) of pineapple chunks.
- Add Suave Premium Tequila and lime juice, shake with ice, and strain over your glass.
Did You Know?
Tequila that is not 100% agave is made with fillers such as added sugars and even caramel for coloring. Premium, 100% agave tequila has natural sugars from agave, which are more easily digested and better prevent dehydration.
Recipe Número Dos: Tequila Suave
“Fitting name, right? We didn’t come up with this one, nor did the owners name their premium tequila for that drink,” Sauza joked. “But a Tequila Suave is a delicious way to enjoy Suave Tequila. Try saying that five times fast!”
- This drink is quite tropical. Choose a fun glass such as a martini glass or a trendy mason jar.
- Combine 2 OZ of Suave Premium Tequila, 1 TBSP of lemon juice, 1 TSP white crème de cacao (white chocolate cream), 1 TSP grenadine, and a dash of bitters — you can use a shaker with ice or mix in a glass and pour over ice.
- Garnish your glass with a maraschino cherry and an orange slice.
- That’s it! Enjoy!
Did You Know?
Tequila is an actual place in Mexico! Just like Champagne, France, ‘Tequila’ can only be named as such if its agave was grown in Mexico and it was distilled there.
Recipe Numero Tres: Classic Tequila Sunrise
“You really can’t go wrong with a classic,” Sauza said. “The Tequila Sunrise is beloved for a reason: it is delicious and good looking.”
- Fill your glass with ice — make sure it’s clear because this drink is beautiful!
- Pour in 1 1/2 OZ of Suave Premium Tequila and 3 OZ of orange juice — with pulp if you’re into it.
- Here’s the fun part: Drizzle 1 OZ of grenadine syrup into your glass. Do not stir; watch as it lazily sinks to the bottom.
- Take some deep breaths. It’s Tequila Sunrise time.
- Garnish, if you wish, with a maraschino cherry and orange slice — we recommend a colorful straw for some spring whimsy!
Did You Know?
Tequila selections are as robust as whiskey, with artisanal sipping tequilas seen as an art in Mexico. From Blanco to mezcal and all shades and taste ranges in between, tequilas can be as playful as vodka or as seriously sexy as scotch on the rocks. Experiment with different age ranges (the darker, the older) and aging processes to discover which one you like best!
Recipe Número Cuatro: Sexy Blue Envy
“Think late nights by the pool with the one you love; the way this drink looks is special,” said Sauza. “Certainly one to dazzle and impress.”
- Shake together (with ice) 1 1/2 OZ of Suave Tequila Blanco, 1 OZ of blue curacao liqueur (gives your cocktail a neon blue hue), and 1/2 OZ of pineapple juice.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry, or leave it naked if you wish.
- Sip and relax…
About Suave TequilaSuave is a 100%-organic, additive-free, & kosher-certified single-estate ultra-premium tequila produced in the highlands of Mexico. Founded in 2014, the company has been awarded numerous accolades, including Tequila of the Year 2020 & Best in Show by USA Spirit Ratings. For more information, please visit https://suavetequila.com/en/