Image Source: Good Word News
Following online criticism from users, influencers, and celebrities, Instagram says it is halting the launch of new features on its app.
One of the new features was a rise in suggested video material, comparable to TikTok, a competitor app.
People complained that they weren’t seeing as many images of their friends and relatives on the display and newsfeed.
The parent company of Instagram, Meta, stated that it will “take time” to make the adjustments properly.
The rise in popularity of competitor TikTok, where users post and watch more video instead of static images, is thought to have sparked Instagram’s redesign toward more video content.
The TikTok app, the first app not owned by Meta to reach this milestone, has already been downloaded more than three billion times worldwide, according to data from the digital analytics firm Sensor Tower.
Instagram’s CEO Adam Mosseri told The Verge that the test version of the updated app would be removed within weeks.
Mr. Mosseri stated in an earlier video detailing the shift to video that full-screen videos will be prioritized over images.
However, in response to criticism, he issued a string of tweets stating that he intended to “continue promoting photos.”
In response to Mr. Mosseri’s Twitter video, American model Chrissy Teigen stated that users “don’t want to make films” and are experiencing less interaction for images.
Reality TV stars Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner also posted on their stories a petition to “Make Instagram Instagram again.”
Author and content producer Toni Tone expressed her frustration with the changes in a post, saying that Instagram was much better when she received stuff from the individuals she wanted to follow.
A Meta representative told the BBC: “Based on our findings and community input, we’re stopping the full-screen test on Instagram so we can explore other solutions and temporarily reduce the number of suggestions you see in your feed so we can improve the quality of your experience.”
Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner Criticizes Instagram
Reality TV stars Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner have joined Instagram content creators in criticizing the platform’s new look.
Ms. Jenner and Ms. Kardashian sent messages on their Instagram Stories requesting that the Meta-owned platform “make Instagram Instagram again.”
Instagram recently changed its emphasis from individual postings to its own brief video format, Reels. However, other users are urging Instagram to “quit trying to be TikTok.”
In a reel on Tuesday, Adam Mosseri, the CEO acknowledged that the network has seen “a lot of change all at once.”
While promising users that photographs will remain on Instagram as “part of our legacy,” he added that he thinks Instagram will eventually become more video-based.
While still supporting photographs, Instagram will need to “lean into that transition” in what users like, consume, share, and see on the platform in favor of video, he continued.
Other elements that worry authors, such as a full-screen option, recommendations, and the visibility of friends’ posts, he said, will be subject to additional refinement.
On July 21, the site unveiled new tools for artists using its Reels feature, allowing them to “Remix” previously published public photo postings as Reels and concurrently capture and respond to content on front and back cameras using a “Dual” function.
Instagram also disclosed that in the coming weeks, any new videos that are under 15 minutes in length would be automatically uploaded as Reels.